Followers

About Me

Wednesday 14 May 2008

postheadericon Leeks

The Pendle leeks inside the tunnel are growing very fast compared to the welsh seedlings outside in the raised bed. I really need to sort my leeks out that are outside and tighten the collars maybe as they seem to have stopped going up. The massive concern i have is Fusarium foot rot which is a form of fungus affecting the crown of the leek turning it a brownie, yellow colour which i have on some leeks. This is spread so easy and lies in the soil with no real solution except hope it doesn't effect your leeks to much. All i can do is remove infected flags and spray with fungicide, so far it hasn't been to bad..fingers crossed. These are quite mature leeks tho, so i hope they can live with it.


3 comments:

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Everything's looking goo Liam. I'm glad you don't show round my way LOL

Simon

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

That should of course have read GOOD LOL

Some of my stuff is looking 'goo!' LOL

Veg4Show said...

lol goo

Yeah everything is not bad this year, but I'm really concerned about the leeks as i have foot rot. Done quite a bit research and there isn't much i can do about it.

I've already had to destroy 1 leek. 5 Pendle leeks in the tunnel have it, along with 3 others outside and it spreads in the wind and soil.

Could be a total disaster, infact I'm pretty sure i will lose most if not all of them.

Always something every year stopping me growing great leeks which i know i can do if only they didn't have this foot rot this year.

Next year I'm going to sterilize all my own soil based compost in my new machine and build a new growing tunnel for them.

P.s I might turn up at your local show hah.

GROUND FROST TONIGHT NOOOOOOO.