Followers

About Me

Tuesday 8 July 2008

postheadericon Cauliflowers planted

My first sowing of cauliflowers have now been planted out inside one of the tunnels. At every potting stage I ensure I transplant them deep covering the entire stem each time and firming in. I do the same when planting out and firm well in. All brassicas like to be planted deep and firm to prevent them rocking and moving about, this also helps to avoid long leggy stems.

I plant in a well manured soil based ground with added lime and plant on top of some black and white sheeting, white side up to reflect the sunlight onto the leaves. Some may say this doesnt make much difference but i tested this out last year and it made a hugh difference. I also plant quite close which helps keep the cauliflowers stay compact and shade the heart once big enougth.

Cauliflowers like plenty of water so under the soil i have a auto leaky hose system, the same as i use for my onions which gives the roots direct water and avoids the surface getting wet (saves on slugs pellets aswell as they stay dry)

My second sowing is now also ready to plant out this weekend, with 3 more sowings being planted out over the next few weeks in the hope they dont come all at once and I have some on show days...pretty rare.

0 comments: