Followers

About Me

Tuesday 26 August 2008

postheadericon Tray disapointment

Garden News tray 3 veg: 3 carrots 6 tomatoes 3 potatoes



Collection of 6: 1 celery 5 tomatoes 2 marrows 2 parsnips 3 carrots 2 cauliflowers


I can never seem to win the trays at some of the shows i go to and to come so close always makes things worst. Before the judging began I already knew id lost the garden news tray, from experience you can judge just how many points your going to get and i was right. The collection of 6 on the other hand i thought i had due to my only real contender having very bad rust and i mean bad on his leeks, slight rot on the bottom of the celery and discoloration on the parsnip foliage tops. The judges dont actually pick the veg up at these shows for some unknown reason as they are always untouched when we come back in the exact same place. Not one to complain I'm happy with second and always respect my competitors and the judges. The nvs actually advised the winner who previously had rang them about showing leeks with rust to throw them away which really rubbed it in considering he won.. Never mind always next year, well done.

2 comments:

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Well done Liam......you seem to have some very good stuff there.

Do you have any more shows this season?

Regards
Simon

Veg4Show said...

Hi Simon

Hope you had a good holiday i see you are back and looks like you did well at your first show.

I have two more shows to do, but to be honest out of my league. My local one isnt to bad but they take veg out of the schedule every year and add more flowers, so I'm very limited to what i can show. No celery, no parsnips, no cucumbers, only one shallot dish in non members to avoid me getting any points, list goes on. My last show is full of retired pros who spend 24 hours a day singing to there veg.

I will be pulling my big parsnips for my last show in the hope i can get first this year, but im slightly concerned they may well be to big..should be interesting.