Followers

About Me

Wednesday 17 September 2008

postheadericon N.A.S?

Well as stated by myself and Simon over at smithyveg a collection should really be "Distinctly different types".

At two of my show two sets of potatoes were entered on the same board with the schedule stating "A collection of 6 different types of vegetables as scheduled" as scheduled means chosen from the list of vegetables in the schedule itself. The problem being is the schedule lists potatoes twice, sometimes three times: class for whites, class for colours, and a collection of 3 plates any varieties.

This was truly bought to my attention at my second show when a very experience judge who goes along to all the shows (not judging either show mind you here) stated that the board should have be disqualified. He argued for some time with the steward about it eventually quoting "If you were making dinner and wanted to use 6 different types of vegetables you wouldn't peal a coloured potato and then peal a white potato and mash them both separate. The argument was the wording on the schedule can be misleading but as he said "If you read it correct its not". The big word being "TYPES", two sets of potatoes are in the schedule but they are not Distinctly two different TYPES of vegetables.

The worst part is the boards on both occasions were awarded first and at one show the judge had even written "you need a sixth type of vegetable, two sets of potatoes". So in theory I've lost out a few times this year by poor judging.

AGAIN:




I'm not bitter, but next year they might have a shock when i enter 3 dishes of 5 potatoes, 1 dish of white a dish of coloured, 9 large shallots and pickling shallots with some onions.. I may even stick the top tray on top as that was also listed in schedule.

6 comments:

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Cheating b*st*rd! I would have pissed on his display LOL

(Only joking!)

At smaller shows like we enter sometimes they use any judge they can get their hands on....and generally it's Ernie Knobthwaite who's wheeled out each year because he once spent a week in Blackpool in the same hotel as Medwyn Williams LOL

Regards
Simon

Veg4Show said...

lmao

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Hmmm.....his spuds do look nice though....but his carrots aren't very uniform and one of his leeks look a bit bendy

Let's see your then!

Veg4Show said...

His spuds are always good, he must have taken over 50 potatoes to choose from.

The carrots were pretty poor on top to be honest, carrot fly black holes.

I don't have a pic of the collection of 6 (memory error) but I always show clean healthy veg or I don't enter it, simple as that..I have standards. My onions and leeks let me down this year so I lost out at every show due to low ranking veg against out of condition high ranking veg.

Anonymous said...

Hi Liam, just had a quick look on yer blog - nice set up. Just one thing the grow bench you have I cant tell what is in the base covering your heated mat but if its vermiculite or something just be careful as your plants get bigger the roots can grow out the bottom of the pots into anything soft and you can damage them when you lift your pots. You are best to stand your pots on a firm base to keep the roots inside the pots - if ya catch my drift.
Good luck Mate
Nick

Veg4Show said...

sterilized Builders sand, soft but holds in more moisture than other sand so will distribute the heat evenly from the heating cable. I still have to water the sand to ensure it stays moist and polythene is placed on top of this to avoid any roots going into the sand. Last year I used those big trays you can get but I found the heat was not very even trying to get through a solid object.