Followers

About Me

Tuesday 6 January 2009

postheadericon Leeks/Onions update

Here's a picture showing you the difference between growing leeks under ideal conditions, such as warming cables, artificial lights and heat. The leek on the right has been growing only on natural daylight with no bottom heat with an air temperature of 60f minimum 50f. The leek on the left has been potted up already due to rapid growth being in the grow room. Both leeks are bulbils and received at the same time, same variety "Pendle".



Leeks in the grow room have now all been potted up using added soil to the mixture at a rate of 3/1. I have lost 12 leeks which were all suspicious leeks when I received them having browning at the root plate. As I suspected they either rotted, wilted or didn't root. This is why I ordered 40 leeks this year in the hope I can at least grow on 20 good ones with any that look weak can be thrown away. Watering of course is vital and I tend to keep them slightly on the dry side rather than over water them.



The exhibition onions have all germinated and I have been pricking them out when I feel they are ready. My second sowing should be up in a few days time by which time my greenhouse will be pretty full as I have also been been sowing my hanging basket seeds and various other flowers.


Pricking out:

0 comments: