Followers

About Me

Monday 26 January 2009

postheadericon Quick update

Haven't posted in a while but to keep you up to date:

We are approaching February so its time to start thinking about sowing parsnips from Mid Feb to late march. I grow my parsnips under cover so I can plant earlier than most and get extra bulk and length. Don't be fooled tho that planting very early will result in bigger and better specimens, parsnips will lose quality, and skin condition.

I spent the weekend making my parsnip mixes up which sounds easy but man I hate sieving, especially moss peat, its so fibrous it clogs the sieve on each pass. Took me two days to get the job done. Don't panic I'm going to invest in an Scheppach RS400 Rotary Sieve for my potato mix. The mix is the same as last year, with a few modifications (I will post it here later).

I have been working on getting the tunnel ready for the parsnips and so far so good, I hope to finish it this weekend and show you some pictures. I will also be growing my long carrots back inside this year as they were pretty crap last year outside, mainly due to taking so long to germinate.

I have potted all my onions on, tho small at the moment I'm still sticking to natural daylight. I have also planted my marco onions for the smaller classes.

February is also when I need to start to think about my first sowing of celery. Last year my second sowing was too late, this I'm going to have to have a think about when I sow them, probably mid February I will start. If growing celery "Ideal" I would have sown it in January to get the bulk required.

The leeks yet again are doing pretty crap, and I have lost loads with the exact same symptoms as last year. I have ordered some Peter Clarke leeks as back ups. I'm thinking about throwing all the leeks away I got from Medwyns as they obviously have something wrong with them. The Peter Clarke leeks will be way behind but at least I will have something.

Will see how far I get this weekend and hopefully post up some pictures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought leeks from Mr Medwynn and was disgusted at the way the were packaged. Although rooted the Leeks were all bound together and placed in a small plastic round tube with the ends sealed off by black tape. when I tried to pot the Leeks up it was evident from the outset that the packaging had taken its toll. I expected at least the proper root trainer but no. The leeks I eventually threw out after a short few weeks due to
to the plants dying on piece. Never again
Buyer beware.

Anonymous said...

yes had same problem with medwyns cumbrian pot leek,one looked a bit sick on arrival,must have infected the rest,anyhow he was informed and is going to replace with some pendle and welsh as he is sold out of pot,
long leeks are growing strongly with no probs under lights

Veg4Show said...

Always get a mailer demon when you email Medwyn, yet sometimes he replies.

No reply about my leeks, considering I spent over £200 quite disappointing this has happened for a second year running.