Followers

About Me

Friday 25 September 2009

postheadericon I hate this time of year

Everything sounds so easy in these magazines suggesting this time of year is an ideal time to clean and tidy the greenhouse and garden..Yeah right, with 3 poly tunnels and a large greenhouse with a shed full of 1000s of pots, and an allotment that you could fit two football pitches on I find it pretty hard going. I will work now until January getting these jobs done with the main task's being my onion beds and getting the greenhouse cleaned ready for winter.

Talking of onions; I will sowing some seed from a 14lb onion in late October which I will grow on under my new lighting system that is yet to be built.

3 comments:

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

I know what you mean Liam. It always used to make me feel so depresses when everything was coming to an end....it's called SAD isn't it? Seasonally Affected Disorder!

Now I try and look at this time of year as a starting point for the next season.....planning next years cropping plan, ordering seeds and starting the process of getting the plot shipshape again.

What about having a go at Malvern next season Liam? From what I could see your stuff would be more than able to compete. Got a yong chap called Mark who introduced himself at Malvern who reckons he's going to have a crack, and I know Dan is ever so slightly pissed off he didn't have a go at a higher level with his onions. If I can do it.....?

Cheers
Simon

Veg4Show said...

I was actually going to enter this year with some celery as I had 15 sticks left that were all perfect and with that extra month they were massive, best I have seen for many years.

Problem I had was my car had to have an engine change, after I did all the work a high tensile steel bolt (made never to break) broke on the timing chain cog and bent all the valves. I just bought a toyota estima tonight so if it's still going next year I may well come along.

This is why I only did 2 shows this year as it was never meant to be for me.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

That's a shame. The celery standard wasn't great at Malvern if I remember rightly.

Keep blogging mate.

Simon