Followers

About Me

Monday 16 June 2008

postheadericon Celery planted out

My main batch of celery that has been planted out in the raised bed at the weekend are looking strong and healthy. Before planting out i applied a good amount of vitax Q4, and stripped all the celery back to the strongest sticks to promote more growth from the heart. Small, cracked sticks are useless and will only be pulled off later so I'm pretty savage about it, and will continue to do this thought out the season. I water all my plants with slug clear once every 2 weeks along with some slug pellets. My celery is also fed everyweek with chempak no.2 high nitrogen feed and also some calcium nitrate. I will switch to a low nitrogen feed no.8 in about a months time.
This celery will be collared when i feel its ready, maybe a weeks time it grows pretty darn fast.


The celery in pots with there first collars on. Yes i collar from an early stage, others prefer to leave it a lot later but this method works for me. On hot days i will remove the collars and provide them with extra shading to help avoid heart rot.

0 comments: