Followers

About Me

Monday 17 May 2010

postheadericon Parsnip warning signs

My parsnips are growing great despite being covered in fleece to keep bugs at bay...But look closer; at this time of year you may well start to see the first signs of leaf spot. Yellow-green spots that appear that will eventually destroy your parsnips, as the spots enlarge turning brown and almost burnt in apperance. I will spray mine now every 10 days or so for a month at least with a good fungicide as I have noticed a few spots. No spider mite as yet.

Picture after being sprayed.. What I find interesting is the size of my parsnips compared to last years. If you view "2009 May Parsnips" pictures you will see that the above parsnips are actually better and bigger despite going in a good month later. I think this is mainly due to the fact I have no spider mite (yet?) and this time last year I had plenty. It goes to show how much damage they can do, the hard winter combined with the fleece must have helped keep them off...for now.

2 comments:

robb said...

Hope you keep the spot at bay...out of interest what fungicide do you use, might do the same with mine.

Veg4Show said...

I just use what I can get on the open market.

DITHANE 945 (white/clear)

Fruit & Vegetable Disease Control, made by bayer garden. (blue colour)

Bordeaux mixture (blue colour)

I will use a different fungicide depending on what I spray. Anything that does not require the leaf to be shown I spray with a blue fungicide, anything such as celery I spray with Dithane as I don't wan't to spend hours getting the blue marks off.

My parsnips were sprayed with Fruit & Vegetable Disease Control, and I will spray with bordeaux mix in 10-14 days time to make sure.