Followers

About Me

Tuesday 4 March 2008

postheadericon More on leeks

It wont be long now before we can start to think about planting out. This year my leeks will be grown outside in my raised beds. I feel growing them in a polytunnel can be risky due to high levels of heat and the increase in pests. So this year will be a test to see how well they will get on outside.

Here are some pictures of my leeks with the collar off:

The Pendle leek:


The Welsh Seedling:


You cant really see it from these pictures but the welsh seedlings are quite a way behind in girth compared to the pendle leek but they are going up nice and i wont push them much more than this before i finally plant out. I have also been spraying my leeks with liquid derris to kill any nasties which we have had quite a few this year already. I also tend to spray my leeks with a weak solution of armillatox to helps to prevent thrip damage.

0 comments: